Saturday, August 2, 2008




Update on the house....I was down in July and got all the planties in...I looked like a traveling jungle driving down route 95....and burned all the brush and trees that we had cut down in January..it took 2 and a half days, but it's all gone! I actually left a bit early, as I really missed John & Melissa. I got pulled over leaving my parents house after going out to dinner, because apparently in NC, when there is an 'emergency vehicle' on the side of the road, you are required to pull allllll the way over to the other side of the road. I just kind of went around them leaving about 5 feet between the police car and me. 2 seconds later, the lights are flashing behind me, and a GIANT state trooper is asking for my info. He also had me take a breathalizer test! It seems that is automatic when you get pulled over down there. Long story short, I got a $370.00 ticket!!!
Since I have left, the workers have been busy beavers on the house. Chris the electrician got all the work done in the front parlor, and Graham is sheetrocking the front parlor. Sean installed three windows in the library, a gift from Mom & Dad, and has been diligently working on the fine trim work and hanging the door in the fireplace bedroom. We have had a cat or some sort of creature sleeping on the bed in there while I have been gone, so the new door really needed to be installed. Sean was pulling out the little hair he has installing the mantle surround, as the house is crooked, very crooked. But he did a great job, and forwarded me some pictures from his phone. The room is definitely shaping up, and although some of the ceiling wainscoting needs to repaired, the floors refinished and the floor and crown molding to be done, this is much progress!
Also working on getting approvals from the NC DOT on our driveway on the commercial side of the property...lots of paperwork, but if that guard rail is installed, it's going to be an agonizing process to get them to take it back down. Keep your finfgers crossed for us!
Unsure if I am going down in August, I may put the trip off until September, where I hope I will have the opportunity to meet Nancy (Tingle), the grandaughter of Papa Jim & Gertie. Hopefully she will be pleased on what we have accomplished so far.

No comments: