Thursday, September 23, 2010

December - 2010 interlude....Christie


I lost my beloved Jack Russel Terrier just 2 weeks before leaving for the house...my heart wrecked and empty despite having her puppies with me...this is still almost a year later, this was an event that has changed me as a person forever....
Our first night staying at 588 Main...Doing what she did best..chillin out

Why is Copperfield in my bed?

That face is etched on my heart..

Christie and a baby Mouse-Man, our awesome orange kitty

Christie, Mouse and a baby Buji, the day we brought Buji home..he would become the father of her puppies.

Christie and her 3 babies in the whelping box..Mushu, Bear and Maizie.

Christie and I on our 74 mile hike of the New Jersey section of the Appalachain Trail, Christie did 40 miles, then went home as her paw was irritated.

And my tribute to her (please remember I was terribly distraught and hearbroken when I wrote this)


Dear Christie,
I remember bringing you home,
You were so small with tiny feet and buggy eyes and your ears flopping. So I called you "Buggits" or "Critter Bug". Once in a while you would let out a little yelp or very often pee on the carpet to mark this as your home.
Making a mess and chewing on everyone’s dirty underwear became a passion of yours!
But when I scolded you, you just put your head down with those big innocent eyes.
You laid in bed with me for six months after my back surgery; a happy puppy content to lay with her mommy, only four months old. You weren’t a typical Jack, you didn't jump and climb, you just wanted to snuggle and love. (Bear gets that from you) You helped me to heal, kept my spirit up. And as you got older, you were the protector of the house; I didn’t know that until you were gone. The three of them are lost without you; Buji looks for you and howls every day.
We hiked; you did 40 miles on the Appalachian Trail marvelously, strong and loving every moment with the bear-bell on your neck. We kayaked; you heading the stern like a good captain. It was so funny every time you fell in the water! Your children came; and you waited until I came home to go into labor. For eight hours I stayed waiting for your three beautiful babies to come. And you were an awesome mommy.
When I sat down to read or watch TV you were always there, a little snuggle bug, and you would nudge me to get my attention, just so I would pet you and you would go to sleep with your head on my leg. Every night you would scratch the cover of the bed to come under to go to sleep, curled up next to me. You became a part of my body, my soul. I can't sleep properly without you.
And then you got hurt. I knew as soon as you ran, one of the three of you were going to get hurt. I was screaming your name. I really thought you were going to be alright after I brought you in the house. So much blood Critter, so much blood. It was my worst nightmare come true. I saw it in my minds eye every time you or the boys escaped previously.
With tears steaming down my face, I drove you to the vet for the last time. I prayed they would tell me that you had just broken your nose and leg. But no, and the option they gave me was not an option for you. You need to run, to play, to love. I made the most difficult decision of my life, that you needed to go to the Rainbow Bridge; to be with Denver-Dog. Otherwise life would not have been as you knew it.
This time I was not lying next to you, but I held your head in my hand, as you shook with shock and pain, and your head fit my hand perfectly as it always had. You looked at me; as if to say ‘Thank You, Mommy for loving me and taking care of me”, and I watched you slip away. MY LOVE, MY LIFE, MY DOG.
And all I could think of was to say “Thank you, Christie Mathewson Saxton, for taking care of ME for six and a half years.” You were named after the child we never had, after a very famous baseball player, after your daddy's uncle. You were taken from me, and much too soon. Even fifteen years would have been too soon.
Your children are safe, very much loved, and this will never happen again. Daddy & I are making sure of that. I love you, I miss you every day, and I will never forget you. Until we meet again under God’s Rainbow Bridge I will have you in my heart every second and wear you ashes around my neck.
Love,
Mommy
P.S. Please tell Denver-Dog that I love him and miss him and I will see you both when I get there.



No comments: